PUBLIC NOTICE – USDA Offers Disaster Assistance for Producers Facing Inclement Weather

Several Counties are Eligible for Emergency Loans

Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Meigs, Rhea, and Roane counties were declared primary disaster counties. While Anderson, Blount, Bradley, Hamilton, McMinn, Monroe, and Sequatchie counties were declared contiguous disaster counties. All due to severe storms, straight-line winds, and tornadoes using the Presidential Major Disaster Declaration. Under this designation, if you have operations in any primary or contiguous counties, you are eligible to apply for low interest emergency loans.

Severe weather events create significant challenges and often result in catastrophic loss for agricultural producers. Despite every attempt to mitigate risk, your operation my suffer losses. USDA offers disaster assistance when facing inclement weather.

You have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for emergency loan assistance. FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available, and repayment ability. You can borrow up to 100 percent of actual production or physical losses, to a maximum amount of $500,000. Applications for assistance in the disaster-stricken counties will be accepted by the Farm Service Agency through 05/28/2024.

For more information about emergency loans, contact Farm Loan Officer, Rachel Niceley, at the Knox County USDA Service Center located at 4730 New Harvest Ln., Suite 100, Knoxville, TN 37918, or by phone at 865-291-9518 or visit

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.